Thursday 24 March 2011

Vintage Fabric Fat Quarters























Sourcing vintage fabrics to use in my design work has become a huge part of what Get Smitten is all about - it's almost a kind of rescue mission; fabrics with a past being up-cycled into something exciting and new

As my collection grows (and grows!) and I find myself sourcing more & more supplies for my Make Do & Mend creative workshop students (Get Smitten branded bamboo crochet hooks are in the pipeline!), I thought I'd share some of my treasures with you... in the literal sense























Many of the vintage fabrics I own are pre-loved linens and therefore fairly large in size, and so I have been able to cut them into fat quarters for you to use in any of your own small creative projects. Rest assured that all linens are scrupulously washed & ironed before being deemed fit for their new lease of creative life!























'Fat quarter' is a term mostly used in patchwork - it is when a yard / metre of fabric from the manufacturer's roll is cut into equal 4 sections rather than in 9" / 25cm strips as is traditional when buying smaller quantities of fabric. Having a 'fat' quarter gives you a more useable area of fabric to work with when you are cutting out shapes or strips to use in small sewing projects. The standard size of a fat quarter is 18" x 22" or 46cm x 56cm as shown in the diagram



And so, for your sewing pleasure, I am delighted to announce the arrival of Vintage FabricFat Quarters at the Get Smitten boutique. Naturally, supplies are limited... and stock is changing as new treasures are found - so be sure to check back often!

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do and I'll be posting some ideas of how you can use them in projects over the coming months

Lisa x

(photos of vintage fabrics by Lisa Pocklington, fat quarter diagram by Janet Wickell via About.com)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the helpful information))) will monitor your blog))

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome back anytime Belichek!

    ReplyDelete

Want to comment on this? Go ahead!

Share this post with your friends!

Related Posts with Thumbnails